Oh hey, ya’ll.
Forewarning: There may be a little shade thrown in this post.
Do you have a best friend? What do they mean to you? WHY are they your best friend? Outside of my family (like my brother, SIL, partner and daughter), I have 2 best friends. Like, really BEST FRIENDS. I have known them both for over 10 years. We have been through love, pain, birth, sickness, tears, death, laughter…oh, so much laughter, mistakes, fear, distance. We have been through it all, man. But we actually know that we can count on each other.
In my adult life, I have had a few people throw the word “best” friend at me. I mean, I know I’m pretty damn cool..and it felt nice at the time… but WHY IS YOU LYIN’?
It’s okay for best friends to make mistakes. It’s okay for best friends to have tiffs. It’s okay to have to take time to learn about your best friend.
Here’s what IS NOT OKAY.
- TALKING DOWN TO THEM
- TRYING TO MAKE THEM FEEL LESS THAN
- CHECKING YOUR PHONE WHILE THEY CRY TO YOU ABOUT AN ISSUE
- LYING TO OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THEM
- NOT APOLOGIZING
- CALLING THEM YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN THEY ARE NOT
THESE THINGS ALSO ARE NOT OKAY. You’re welcome.
- Thinking that because you gave them things that they owe you.
- Pretending like they’re not grateful, because they don’t worship the ground you walk on.
- Not giving them time to explain themselves. If they are even KIND OF a friend, you can give them 5 minutes. LORT.
- CALLING THEM YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN THEY ARE NOT. oh, did I say that already? *eyeroll*
- Helping people only because it may benefit you (ew, dude)
HERE IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- BRING THEM COFFEE WHEN THEY CAN’T LEAVE THE HOUSE
- HUG THEM
- LOVE THEM
- SUPPORT THEM
- VISIT THEM
- UNDERSTAND THAT LIFE IS BUSY
- LISTEN TO THEM
- LAUGH WITH THEM
- CRY WITH THEM
- CALL THEM
- BE PROUD OF THEM.
- MAKE TIME FOR THEM
- MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THEY ARE IMPORTANT
- GIVE WITHOUT EXPECTATIONS
- GET TO KNOW THEIR HEART
Ya’ll may have a ton of people you call friends or best friends and maybe I only have a couple- but at the end of the day, guess what I know?
I know that if I was stripped ALL THE WAY DOWN TO MY SOUL, people would love me FOR ME. They love me for my heart. They love me for my empathy. They love me because I will drop anything to help them. Not because I wear clothes well. Not because I have cool contacts. Not because I have a big ass condo. They love ME because I have a heart of gold. So, once everything fades away and I am old lady sitting on the porch, my friends will still be there. And I will still be Christine.